You have no items in your cart.
The Horace Greeley House was the country home of the Greeley family from 1864 until 1873. It is one of three homes that the Greeleys owned in Chappaqua. Mr. Greeley was the editor and publisher of the New York Tribune, and most of the time he lived in New York City.
The Main Floor consists of three primary rooms. The Front Parlor was used for formal entertaining and receiving guests. Over the handsome fireplace, there is a print which shows the Greeley family in 1872, the year that Greeley ran for president. The Dining Room, painted in a bright shade of red, overlooked Greeley’s Farm. On one wall a print shows Greeley’s campaign slogan, “Yours for Universal amnesty and impartial suffrage.” The Music Room is one of the rooms in the portion added by the Greeleys. Music was important to the Greeley family. This room includes a box pianoforte similar to the one belonging to the Greeleys. One portion of the current Research Room served at the Butler’s Pantry.
The Upper Floor also consists of three primary historic rooms. When Greeley enlarged the house, he altered and modernized the second floor, transforming it from Federal to Victorian style. He raised the ceilings and put in tall windows, including the French doors leading to the balcony. The Family Parlor was a more private sitting room than the downstairs parlor. In this room are displayed many items connected to Greeley’s professional career and political activities. The Girls’ Bedroom, shared by Gabrielle and Ida, is a bright and airy room, opening out onto the balcony through the three French doors. Today we use this room for special exhibitions. The Master Bedroom is where Mary Greeley spent much of her time. The only photograph we have of her hangs on the wall by the door to the stairway. As in the dining room, the back wall is where the original house ended, and it contained two windows overlooking the farm. The Maid’s Room is now for use by the staff.
The Meeting Room behind the bedroom is part of the new section of the house and is a large room used for meetings and special exhibitions. This section of the house was added in the 1950s when the house was used as a gift shop.
The Ground Floor consists of a Kitchen and Laundry Room. In the Kitchen we show several utilitarian objects such as a spinning wheel and yarn winder which belonged to Greeley’s mother, and many other objects that one would find in a Victorian kitchen. The Laundry Room is currently used for storage.
The grounds, which are handicapped accessible, contain period Perennial and Herb Gardens which feature unusual species and plants once used for medicinal purposes.